Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tulsa to Caye Caulker

Travel day today. Woke up in the dark, a little before 6 am CDT at home in the apartment. My son (6th grader) got up on his own and walked his dog as I was stirring. I made coffee and talked to him about his after-school plans (horse-riding with my wife, naturally). He rides well. Here is a photo of him from a few days ago:
From 2012-05-13 (by Eye-Fi)
After he left for the school bus, I went to wake my wife, Rhea. She was going to drive me to the Tulsa airport for my mid-morning flight to Belize. I did not exactly pack light. My main bag had wheels, fortunately, as it weighed 49 lbs. It has a tent, bedroll, clothes, field equipment and such. My backpack probably weighed more as it had everything fragile (binoculars, etc.) plus books and such. Cameras were in a second bag over my shoulder. Under my arm was a tube with huge posters of jaguars as gifts for people who have made it possible for me to study wildlife in Belize. Pockets full of documents, and of course coffee in hand. A lot to carry, but I was happy!
From Caye Caulker May 2012
Check-in with United was easy. Rhea and I sat and chatted for a while in the airport. We usually travel together and so this parting was melancholy. She has to work and take care of the horses and so could not accompany me this time. Screening by TSA was a hassle, I had to unpack my pockets and bags and so took up a half-dozen of the plastic bins. After the scan, I got a pat-down and then a swab of my hands for residue. None found, of course, and TSA officials were polite throughout. Glad I gave myself plenty of time and so was relaxed during the procedure. The jet to Houston was smallish Embrauer, like the one in the background of this photo, so I had to gate-check my backpack. I watched nervously as it was loaded:
From Caye Caulker May 2012
In Houston, we had a larger Boeing 737. Here it is being loaded at the gate, with another in the background:
From Caye Caulker May 2012
The flight to Belize was full. My seat-mates were interesting. In the window seat was a young woman studying to be a Physician's Assistant going down to do medical mission work in Independence, Stann Creek district. The middle seat was held by a retired photographer from California volunteering to assist in archaeological excavation at Cahal Pech in the Cayo district. Neither has been to Belize before; I've been about 20 times and so they had plenty of questions for me. Immigration had a long line as our plane landed just after the American flight from Dallas. No problems, though. In the baggage claim area, a band was playing Belizean music for us to enjoy while we waited. My checked bag came and I queued for customs. No problems. I made my was to the main part of the terminal and bought a one-way ticket for the Tropic Air flight to Caye Caulker. Re-checked the big bag and again went through security to the departure lounge. Relaxed, and not crowded as the passengers boarding the American and United flights back north to Texas had already left. Here is the United flight on the runway as we prepared to board our Tropic flight to the cayes:
From Caye Caulker May 2012
Yes, it was raining. That was my excuse for paying for a flight versus taking the water taxi from Belize City. Here is Caye Caulker from the air as we approached the little island just inside the barrier reef:
From Caye Caulker May 2012
We landed and three of us deplaned (the rest of the passengers were continuing on to Ambergris Caye) as they sorted our bags from the rest:
From Caye Caulker May 2012
We walked to the terminal building and looked for taxis:
From Caye Caulker May 2012
The other two had the foresight to have their hotel arrange one. Alas, I did not (having planned to come by water taxi). Fortunately, Abel, owner of Frenchies Dive Shop, happened to drive by on his golf cart and recognize me. He offered me a ride to my hotel, the Ocean Pearl Royale. It is located a half block from Frenchies and owned by Abel's brother. I got out of the golf cart, thanked Abel for the ride, and went to the front desk:
From Caye Caulker May 2012
While I had not been a guest since December, 2010, it felt like coming home. I dropped my bags, changed to sandals, shorts and t-shirt and went to the dive shop to reserve my place on the morning dive. Walked around town, but rain clouds were building as the sun set so I got take-out food and came back to my room. To write this. Enjoy!

No comments: